We started off the day at the Police Station, to get our Cook Island driver's licenses so that we could hire a scooter - which everyone seems to ride about on. The process involved a few to-ings and fro-ings from different offices and a practical test at the rental centre. Having never driven anything with two wheels before, I was a bit nervous - added to which, the lady behind the counter looked aghast when I said I hadn't ridden one before. I guess, to be fair, I was turning up and asking to be tested for a driver's license on a vehicle I had never driven. Not sure whether the UK DVLA would have gone for it. Anyway, after a brief summary of what to do ("turn the key, press the button, hold the brake, kick up the stand and go...oh, and the indicators are here"), I mounted the steed ready for the test lap around the block. It started surprisingly quickly. I zoomed out onto t
he road (happily there isn't much traffic) with what must have been a very 'Wallace and Gromit' facial expression. Still, it seems that my lap was suitably skillful, because I passed. And so did Damo - which was good, because I'm not planning on driving it much from now on!After a few laps of the town on our scooter, sunglasses down, me clutching on to Damo, generally feeling quite pleased with ourselves, we did a bit of snorkel shopping and then headed back to our backpackers because we'd heard that we were being upgraded. It seems that they needed our cheapo hillside room for a school group and asked us if we minded moving to the 'Beach House' for no extra cost. We definitely did not mind. It's brilliant - big open plan house, with lounge, dining room, kitchen, big bathroom, that looks directly and immediately on to the beach, the green blue sea and the coral reef beyond (through a few palm trees of course). The sea is literally...just there. We are 'stoked'.

This afternoon we went for a snorkel on the beach outside and saw lots of fish - all different shapes and sizes. We also saw a sea snake! I know the ones in Australia are not to be messed with and decided that this one should probably be left well enough alone as well. This evening we buzzed down the road to the posh resort and booked in for an Island Night tomorrow (dancing show and buffet). We've got a pile of leaflets to look through for more activities. Although sitting here just watching the sea is alright too.
No comments:
Post a Comment